2023 Department of Languages and Culture Studies Photo Contest Winners
CONTEST WINNERS 2023!
Now visible on display in the COED 4th floor Atrium and hallways
Landscape 1st place:
The “Arch of Cabo San Lucas” can be seen in this picture. Tiffanie Viverette.
Landscape 2nd place:
The “Old Bridge” designed by the architect Andrea Palladio provides a perfect view of the Alps. Constanza Gonzalez.
Portrait 1st place:
Marble sculptors using hand carving techniques. Marshall Parvin.
Portrait 2nd place:
A passionate, local cheese-making expert takes UNC Charlotte students on a tour of the Asiago Cheese Factory. Josef B. Gordon.
Self-Portrait 1st place:
The Great Sphinx of Giza. Dalia Mohamed.
Self-Portrait 2nd place:
Ziplining in the Costa Rican mountains! Kaiylah Wallace.
Defining Moment 1st place:
A misty morning in Machu Picchu, filled with people from all over the world. Kaytie Pottle.
Defining Moment 2nd place:
St. Chapelle. Alyssa Digman.
The contest followed the following format:
Are you taking a language class at UNC Charlotte in Spring 2023? Have you traveled or studied abroad? The Department of Languages and Culture Studies Photo Contest is for you!
Winners will receive a cash prize and have their photo exhibited in the Department of Languages and Culture Studies on the fourth floor of the College of Education Building!
Submission Deadline: April 14, 2023
All students taking classes in the Department of Languages and Culture Studies (LACS) in Spring 2023 who have lived, studied, or traveled abroad are eligible to participate. We also welcome photos from LACS faculty members.
Students who participated in the Office of Education Abroad 2023 Study Abroad Photo Contest may submit the same photo for the Department of Languages and Culture Studies Photo Contest.
Participants may submit ONE photo in ONE competing category:
- Portrait – A photo of people of the foreign country. This photo must not include yourself.
- Landscape – A photo of urban, rural or natural settings representative of the foreign country.
- Self-Portrait – A photo of YOU in a memorable place abroad.
- Defining Moment – A photo that captures a significant moment of your experience on a study-abroad program led by a LACS faculty member or taking place at a partner university abroad.
Contest Rules and Instructions
- Submit your photo. NOTE: The contest is now closed for submissions
- When uploading your photo, please do not include your name in the file title.
- The photo must be high resolution and standard photo size.
- We recommend more than 1000 pixels on the shortest side in order to be displayed properly.
- It is recommended that your photo have a dpi of 300.
- If you submit a non-standard photo (like a panoramic photo), the Department of Languages and Culture Studies will alter the photo to accommodate the support used for displaying your photo.
- Any photo depicting dangerous, illegal, or inappropriate activities will be disqualified.
- All photo submissions will be reviewed and ranked anonymously by the photo contest judging panel. The photo with the highest score will receive first place. Second place and honorable mentions will follow.
- Students will be notified of the results by April 28, 2023.
- Students who submit to the contest will need to grant permission to the Department of Languages and Culture Studies to use their photo in promotional materials, both printed and online, including flyers, bulletin boards, plasma screens, social media and posters, for the purpose of promoting study-abroad programs led by LACS faculty members.
We look forward to your submissions and we look forward to displaying the winning photos in our Department!
Questions? Please contact Jules Geaney-Moore.
Prizes will be awarded in each competing category as follows:
- 1st place: $30 cash prize or equivalent
- 2nd place: $30 cash prize or equivalent
1st and 2nd place photos as well as honorable mentions will be enlarged and permanently displayed in the Department of Languages and Culture Studies.